Google Verification skip to Main Content

Venomous Spider Found in Tesco Bananas causes Four Hour Erection!!

Another supermarket complaint has hit the media recently as a mother of two found a nest of deadly Brazilian Wandering Spiders in her Tesco bananas. A venomous bite from one of these arachnids notoriously causes an uncomfortable four hour erection, not to mention the possibility of death.

Purchased by 43 year old Maria Layton, the bag of bananas looked harmless enough until she spotted a giant spider cocoon. Thankfully Layton acted fast and threw the bananas in the freezer before they had a chance to hatch. A smart move given the fact that the venom can kill a human in as little as two hours.

Banana

“[Her daughter] Siri asked for a banana,” she recalls.” The first banana had a funny bit on it, so I got another one for her and that was when I found the massive spider cocoon.”

Crowned by the Guinness World Records as the most venomous arachnids on the planet, the Brazilian creatures are not what you’d want to find in your home. Their preference for bananas is also widely known, which has led to them earning the nickname of “banana spiders” due to their penchant for hiding in banana plants.

When Ms Layton contacted Tesco to report the incident she was asked to bring the bananas, and the packaging into the store. Obviously, she wasn’t too keen on taking the spiders out of the freezer and transporting them back to the supermarket. Despite the fact that she spoke to three separate customer service representatives within an hour of discovering the spiders, they were only able to offer her their sympathies and “a Moneycard as an apology.” Ms Layton was understandably extremely dissatisfied with the response from Tesco, maintaining that they were alarmingly unhelpful when it came to dealing with the complaint.

Complaints

“I opened the bag and chucked it in the bin before I spotted this thing. Should I take the bin to the store too and my fruit bowl? Would Tesco like to come round to check whether any baby spiders are in our house?” she angrily posted on the Tesco Facebook page.

Tesco has so far declined to comment, however for other retailers, the story highlights the importance of having rigorous food quality procedures in place. Not to mention a clear-cut response plan and rigorous complaints system should anything happen to slip through the cracks. In a similar incident handled by Waitrose the chain was able to send out a pest control expert to deal with dangerous organisms found in its products.

Back To Top